Saturday, June 26, 2010

Hide and Seek

"All my adult life, I've hidden in my work. Not behind it, but deep inside it..." Rheta Grimsley Johnson

Like most men I learned to work for a living instead of learning how to live while working. I learned to work as we say here in the South, "from kin to can't". Well I can't anymore. Well that's not entirely true--I could--but at this point in my life choose not too. Don't get me wrong. I will always work. I believe retirement was invented to give the factory worker time off their feet and their brain a rest from the repetitiveness that assembly lines demanded.

But the kind of work I will do has got to be more like the way it started. For example-- I ran a counseling group because I enjoyed it. But by the time I stopped I was running four or five a week and dreading all those after the first two.

Like the author in the quote above I see now that I was playing hide and seek. I hid from large parts of myself and sought parts that others had kept hidden from themselves because that was my job. Now my number one job is to heal, love, be loved, and come out, come out, wherever I am and work on myself while working for love.

Question: Are you working the life right out of yourself or loving your work?

No comments:

Post a Comment