Friday, June 11, 2010

Taking A New Road

"Everything in life is somewhere else, and you get there in a car." ~E.B. White

Today, like many days when I have nothing really pressing to do I drive down quiet, unfamiliar country roads just to see where they go. I am never disappointed because I don't drive with any expectations. I just go to see what I can see and where I'll end up. Sometimes I drive for thirty minutes to an hour and get totally lost only to eventually come upon something that tells me where I really am.

Now that I have survived a heart attack I don't really know where I am because I'm heading down another kind of road--one that I have never been down before. I don't know where I'm going but I have a clearer idea of who will be my traveling companions than I ever did in my youth. Back then it seemed I was always picking up temporary relationship hitch-hikers that very often wanted out sooner than I or I would rue the day I picked them up.

Brenda, the friend I spoke to today after not talking for 30 years ago is still riding along with me. My beautiful wife is by my side co-piloting and switching off occasionally as pilot when I become road weary. My aging, but relatively healthy mom, dad, mother-in-law, father-in-law and my sweet friends Bill Stott and Robert Bly, about a dozen long time friends not to mention my brother, sister are all sitting comfortably in my mortality motor vehicle.

This road winds, curves, and delights and I can't even see around the next bend. I can't hardly wait to see where it takes me.

Question: Are you taking roads never before traveled or just taking the same old ones?

No comments:

Post a Comment