Saturday, June 12, 2010

An Interior Kind of Wandering

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” —Marcel Proust

The grass isn’t greener on the other side of the valley. It’s just different, full of mystery. Here is where I stand and there is much uncharted territory right under my feet. I could go elsewhere if I like, but I'm certain to find the same unfinished business.

Still, sometimes I have to jump the fence that surrounds me. When I need to break free from an old perspective, roaming awhile like I did yesterday can do a lot of good.

The older I get the more I see that the most fruitful journey isn’t an exterior kind of wandering. It’s exploring my interior landscape. A silent walk, a weekend retreat, a timeout from relationship and responsibility allows me to discover new ground inside myself.

On this journey I know I need time to see things anew, to contemplate the challenges before me. I may need to grieve deeply to renew my search or sing, laugh or forgive. This is not a blind quest, but a kind of roaming that clears the eye, empowering me to see the truth right here, right now.

Question: Is it time to wander inside?

No comments:

Post a Comment