Thursday, June 10, 2010

Hindsight 20/20

“The pond is fed from within.” —William Lyon Phelps

A pond evaporates in a time of drought, and it takes a long time and a lot of rain to fill it up again. For a few years before my heart attack I too often felt like a dried-up pond, a soul that resembled the Sahara desert, an empty well. In my parched condition I would often look back and try to see what I was really giving others? I try to see when serving switched into struggling?

The work I want to do now should water my soul and keep it strong, as good food nourishes the body.

With 20/20 hindsight I see that some of the jobs I did, even the creative work I produced,became too big and too important, obscuring everything else in my life. I, like many who so desperately hope our soul will be healed through accomplishments and achievements lost sight of what is really valuable, real, and eternal. As the great Albert Schwietzer said,"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who sought and found how to serve."

Question: Is the work you are doing make you feel moist or parched?

No comments:

Post a Comment