Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Divine Circle

I've been studying on the Divine Circularity of life now for some time especially since my heart attack. The 1970's singer Harry Chapin said it best before he departed and too soon to say the least, "...All my life's a circle, sunrise and sundown..." Emerson said in his essay Circles, "The eye is the first circle..."

I said, when I left Alabama for Austin, Texas nearly 30 years ago, I'd never live again in Alabama. I came back to the place I left. Today I spoke to a man I hadn't heard from in nearly 20 years who helped my career in ways I'll never be able to thank him for though I did try today. Back then I was so little known I wrote and spoke for free. Now thirty years later I write again for free and am very glad to be alive to do so. I heard from my high school sweetheart, the man who taught me to play guitar, the man who taught me how to teach--circle after circle after yet another circle.

Question: Do you see the circles in your own life and do you honor them or do you need a crisis to spur you to do so?

No comments:

Post a Comment