Sunday, May 9, 2010

More Than 5 lbs.

I was told after my surgery not to pick up anything that weighed more than five pounds for the first eight to ten weeks. What I found out is that everything weighs more than five pounds--my laptop, garbage can, even my big black cat who kept getting in my recliner every time I got up is 16 pounds. I tried begging her to get off. I offered to pay her in catnip, she wouldn't do it. She looked at me like, "Do I look like a dog to you?"

You may be getting tired of this word "empathy" by now but when I had to ask small women at Wal-Mart to pick up boxes of cat litter for the same cat who could care less that she was in my seat, well let's just say I felt another wave of compassion for the elderly roll through my freshly cleaned out arteries.

Would your cat willingly give up its seat for you after surgery?

4 comments:

  1. John, Thanks for your willingness to open your heart (though it would have been nice if you could have done so without the knife).

    I identify with your vulnerability. At 66, I feel it more often now. It was with me, big time, when they found an expected adrenal tumor 15 years ago and again 3 years ago when I blood clot nearly killed me.

    We can retreat or advance. Onward, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Jed for your response. sorry I haven't gotten back to you by phone. We are moving these past two weeks and trying to do a little too much. Much love old friend. I will be in touch. John

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, My cat IS a dog. And he'd give up anything for me anytime for any reason I asked. So glad you are on the mend. My brother in law had a massive attack the same week you did, so the prayers were going- full guns a blazing. Love your blog- I'm signing up as a fan. Hope our paths cross soon.
    Joe Laur
    P.S. Send me your physical address and a bottle of my maple syrup will find its way to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey John,
    Wow... just heard about all of this through your blog. Please know I am thinking of you and am delighted to find your blog. As always your big heart and willingness to share your journey enriches my life in very deep ways.
    Much love, Marie Waters

    ReplyDelete