Friday, May 28, 2010

Trees, Rocks & Clouds

“ In the presence of nature a wild delight runs through the man in spite of real sorrows. —Ralph Waldo Emerson

For the last several entries I've been thanking people for the contributions they have made to my healing. The last few days I am going back more and more to parks and woods to tend to my heart. In the silence and safety that only a field, a stream, or a forest can provide, a different kind of deep healing naturally takes place.

As children many of us took to the woods and came to know the trees, rocks, and grassy knolls as spiritual mothers and fathers: as friends. When we became adults, though,many of us pulled away from the earth. I forgot the good heft of stone. I forgot that we were creatures of the land. I too often left the great rooms filled with sky, the chapels made of cedar and cypress, to seek out the sights and stimulation of the city. After my too long estrangement from the earth, I need to return to the natural wonders now and then, to purify my vision, to partake in the daily ceremonies nature conducts.

No comments:

Post a Comment