Sunday, May 16, 2010

Wrestling Mortality

Mr. Mortality challenged me to a fight 12 weeks ago last night. He almost won. A strong wife, a good heart surgeon, and lots and lots of prayers beat the fellow back into his corner but he left, I hope, a lasting impression regarding wasting time.

Six months ago I felt like I had lots and lots of time as T.S. Elliot says in the poem The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, "...time for decisions and a hundred revisions..." or something to that effect. I thought if we lived in our small cottage in Mentone for four or five more years we would still have plenty of time to live elsewhere--you know where there are lots of book stores and great restaurants.

Years ago I used to have some of my clients and workshop participants do this exercise where I would say, "Imagine you only have 10 years to live. Where would you go? What would you do? Who would you take with you? What are you waiting on?

Mr. Mortality is not whispering this question in my ears. He is practically yelling it?

Questions: Where would you go? What would you do? Who would you take with you? What are you waiting on?

2 comments:

  1. So glad you're still with us, John! May you have long life and many more blessed years in which to serve others in your inimitable, open-hearted no-holds-barred style. You're much loved. Stay healthy, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Ceci for your kind and loving comment. I hope you are doing well and enjoying life. Much love to you and your family. John

    ReplyDelete