Saturday, May 29, 2010

Missing the Mark

“You aim at the chopping block…not the wood.” —Annie Dillard

Whether we chop wood or not, we can appreciate Dillard’s point: Far too often I find myself focusing on the “wood,” the apparent problem, rather than what’s underneath. If I aim at the wood, it only splinters into a dozen small pieces. (And guess who picks up the pieces!)

If I focus only on what I can see in my new post-heart attack life, I will miss the point. I will make a mess. I will get frustrated. Part of what got me to this place was too little concern with FAITH and too much concern with increasing my bank balance, my book sales, my speaking engagements and trying to be "somebody." In other words I committed a whole host of "sins."

The original Greek word for sin means "missing the mark." It was an archery term. Boy did I miss the mark again and again. I hope my aim is improving.

Questions: How is your aim these days? Are you still missing the mark?

No comments:

Post a Comment