Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Thinking out Loud

I was thinking today that the way my wife puts dishes in the dishwasher (which is not my way) no longer bothers me. The fact that she could care less if the bed is made or not is no longer a big deal.

The fact that the clover is in bloom in the pastures that I pass on my drive today from our home in Central Alabama to my studio in the mountains of Alabama is a big deal. The mountain air I'm breathing in right now as I write this very short blog is so sweet I don't have words to describe it.

My dear friend, poet Robert Bly, has a line in one his poems that goes something like this, "Think that someone is about to give you something large..." I've been given something extremely large--another chance at life, another day or two or perhaps lots of days to not let little things bother me like they once did and let the really important ones really sink in and be fully felt.

Question: What little things still bother you that you wish didn't?

1 comment:

  1. As the father of a 6 and 8 year old I continually have to ask myself, "does this really matter?" i.e. Is it really worth getting mad about this; do I really want to get upset about this?
    This question helps to alter my perspective and keeps me out of the shadow that can swallow up my whole family if I allow it. Thanks for the reminder John.
    The next phrase in that poem has always grabbed me, "...to tell you you're forgiven."

    ReplyDelete